Skip to main content


Paid employment is often a necessity to stay afloat whilst at university. As well as the financial benefit, it also helps to develop important skills and experience which will enhance your CV and may help with graduate recruitment.

Queen’s University recommends that students work no more than 15 hours per week in part time employment in order to avoid an adverse impact on academic performance.

QWork is the University's casual recruitment platform which supports all casual part time student and non-student job opportunities.

Through QWork, you can register your interest in working on casual basis on QUB Campus, view opportunities, apply for and manage your assignments. You can access from anywhere at any time through QWork portal.

Pay and Conditions

If you’re above school leaving age but below aged 25, you’re entitled to the National Minimum Wage. If you’re aged 25+, you’re entitled to the National Living Wage. Your employment contract should outline your other terms and conditions, such as holiday entitlement. Students shouldn’t be treated any less favourably than any other worker or employee.

National Insurance
In the UK, individuals are generally expected to pay National Insurance contributions according to their income. Your National Insurance contributions accumulate throughout your working life and may determine your entitlement to some state benefits and/or state pension. If you don’t have a national insurance number, you’ll need to apply for one when you start work. Find out more about National Insurance registration here.

Problems at Work
In most cases, students work mutually agreed part-time hours, get paid for their work, and have time to focus on their studies too. Sometimes, though, things aren’t so straightforward. If you have problems at work, contact Advice SU and we will be happy to help. Where necessary, we’ll also signpost you on to specialist organisations such as the Labour Relations AgencyLaw Centre NI or the Equality Commission.

More information about part time work is available on the Student Guidance Centre website. You can also contact us for advice on your own situation.